On December 28, 2022 at approximately 11:45 p.m., Swift Current Municipal RCMP received a report of an assault at an apartment on Robert Street East in Swift Current.
Investigation determined an adult male assaulted an adult female. She was able to leave the apartment building. The male then approached her and threatened her with a firearm and machete. He returned to the apartment and she was able to contact police for assistance.
The female reported injuries described as non-life-threatening and was taken to hospital for assessment.
Swift Current Municipal RCMP officers, with the assistance of Saskatchewan RCMP’s Critical Incident Response Team, arrested the male without incident at the apartment on December 29.
A search warrant was then executed at the apartment and officers located and seized an imitation firearm, a machete and a small amount of suspected fentanyl.
As a result of investigation, Derek Ruest, 34, from Swift Current is charged with:
- one count, assault, Section 266, Criminal Code;
- one count, sexual assault, Section 271, Criminal Code;
- one count, weapons possession contrary to order, Section 117.01(3), Criminal Code;
- one count, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, Section 88(2), Criminal Code;
- one count, overcoming resistance to the commission of an indictable offence, Section 246, Criminal Code;
- one count, pointing a firearm, Section 87(2), Criminal Code;
- one count, unauthorized possession of a firearm/prohibited weapon, Section 91(2); and
- one count, trafficking, Section 5(1), Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.
He is scheduled to appear in Swift Current Provincial Court on December 30, 2022.